Author Topic: Instalar Windows XP desde SD Card (Ideal para netbooks)  (Read 11720 times)

Offline justiciainfinita

• Antipro
  • Administrator
  • [C4]
    • www.antipro.com.uy
Instalar Windows XP desde SD Card (Ideal para netbooks)
« on: Mayo 03, 2010, 19:45:47 pm »
Hace unos dias me trajeron una netbook para reinstalar XP... como no traen CDrom, hay 3 formas de instalarlo.... 1) Con un CDrom USB (no posible, se me caia un huevo).... 2) Con un pendrive (justo lo preste) .... 3) Con una SD card... de fiesta
Me puse a buscar y di con esto... esta en ingles asi que a comerla, si me dan las bolas en estos dias lo traduzco... Funciona 10 puntos.

What you need:

1. A USB memory stick AND a SD card. One of these has to have enough space to contain the XP install files.
2. Physdiskwrite (http://m0n0.ch/wall/physdiskwrite.php)
3. Boot disk image: MS Windows XP System Setup Disk (http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml)
A computer running Windows 2000/XP (I am pretty sure Vista won't work since physdiskwrite is a 16-bit app) and a USB slot or SD card reader attached
4. Windows XP installation files (off your MS CD, or from wherever)
5. A tool for extracting archives. I used WinRAR, but there are plenty of others out there.
6. Some knowledge of DOS. I do not go into the minutia of every command or DOS tool. Luckily, Google is an able companion for help if you get stuck.

The goal of this whole thing is to get your Eee PC into the following state, which will allow for Win XP to be installed:

1. SSD has a single FAT32 partition that is "active" and has a functional boot loader.
2. The complete i386 folder from your XP CD is copied to your SSD

What to do:
-On your XP computer, download physdiskwrite and the boot disk image mentioned above. Unzip physdiskwrite to a temp directory. I was able to "unzip" the system setup disk executable using WinRAR as well, to get the actual image file rather than the disk maker. WinRAR throws an error and says that the archive is corrupt, but it gets the image out and it works just the same.

So, you should have a temp filder (say c:\temp) with two files: physdiskwrite.exe and WXPBOOT.IMA.

-Insert the flash memory device you DO NOT intend to use to hold your XP install files.
-Open a command line and navigate to your temp directory.
-Type: physdiskwrite -u wxpboot.ima

It will list all of your drives and ask you which one you want to write to. BE VERY CAREFUL HERE. You need to make sure you aren't writing to any of your actual hard disks. If you are not sure which one is your flash disk, do the following:

Control Panel --> Administration Tools --> Computer Management --> Disk Management

You will see a list of all your drives. The numbers should correspond to the numbers listed by physdiskwrite. Also, your flash disk should not list a manufacturer like Maxtor, Seagate or Western Digital :-)

Now that you are sure you are writing the image to the correct drive,  enter the drive number at the command prompt and it will write the image to your flash drive. It should take just a second or two.

-With your "boot disk" created, go ahead and copy the XP install files to your other flash drive.

-When that's done, insert your "boot disk" drive into the Eee PC. Hit Esc during startup and tell it to boot from whichever one you just used physdiskwrite on. DO NOT insert your XP flash drive yet.

It will pause a time or two for you to hit a key. At the end, you should end up at A:\. If you did, congratulations, you are almost there.

-Type fdisk

The only "fixed disk" available to fdisk now should be your internal SSD. You can check this by selecting the option to view all physical disks. If that option is absent from the menu (and it should be at this point), then it is only seeing your SSD. You can further verify this by looking at the current partition information. It should show several non-DOS partitions, and a DOS partition named BIOS (well, my machine did anyway). Delete all of these partitions. Create a new primary DOS partition using all of the SSD's space. Fdisk should automatically set it to "Active", but just make sure by viewing partition info after all of this is done and check that the A flag is present.

-Insert your XP install flash drive and reboot the machine. You should boot from your boot disk again.

-Back at A:\ prompt, format the C drive:
A:\format c: /s

-When that is complete, we need to make sure the Linux boot loader is gone once and for all. type:
A:\fdisk /mbr

Your SSD should now be bootable to DOS without a boot disk

-Copy the WinXP install files over to your SSD:
A:\md c:\i386
A:\xcopy B:\i386 C:\i386 /E
(note: this command assumes your XP install files are in a folder called i386 on your XP flash drive. Adjust as necessary). Be sure to use the /E switch so that it copies all the subdirectories. If you omit that like I did the first time, you get to the GUI part of the installation and then it asks for files that don't exist.

That copy operation will take a while. Go get a donut or something.

When that's done, navigate to c:\i386 and run winnt.exe

The Windows installer should start, and you should be home free from there!

If you totally screw up and want to restore the system, there is a system restore utility on the ASUS DVD that will make your USB drive into a bootable restoration disk.

Hopefully you are kicking it in XP on your Eee PC. Have fun!

Edit: I am using the space below to address some issues I've seen posted in the thread. I will add to this list as necessary.
1. Yes, you can delete the i386 folder from your C drive if you copied the files over. The only time you'd need those files is if you add/remove Windows components. What you can do is stick the i386 folder on a SD card or USB drive and point Windows there when it asks for the location of a file.

2. According to bretton and others in this thread, you can use two USB drives rather than a USB + SD. You can also install Windows directly from the USB drive rather than copying the files over if you wish. I do not suggest installing Windows from an SD card, as data transfer rates from the card reader are pretty abysmal and it will take forever. Just bear in mind that if you install windows from a removable drive and you attempt to add/remove windows components, you will need to have the drive with your install files handy, as mentioned above.

3. Results may vary depending on which version of Windows you are installing. For this particular installation, I was using an OEM copy of XP Home SP2. I do not have the time or money to test many other versions of Windows, but it looks like several users have posted issues with their versions. Remember, for this method you should be using a full XP install, not an upgrade version.

Fuente: http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=1888
« Last Edit: Mayo 04, 2010, 13:21:50 pm by justiciainfinita »

Offline Dj-RoDoX

• Pervertidos
Re: Instalar Windows XP desde SD Card (Ideal para netbooks)
« Reply #1 on: Mayo 03, 2010, 19:46:42 pm »
grande bola!!
 ++

Offline Ikki

« Reply #2 on: Mayo 03, 2010, 20:20:16 pm »
 ++
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"si será así que me llaman de empresas de informática -todavía hoy- que quieren que trabaje con ellos, lástima que nuncan van a poder pagar mi cashé\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"<br /><br />Frase Celebre del Gran Guru de las Tecnologias Informaticas Sexmachine

Offline triloko

• POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI
  • ACM
« Reply #3 on: Mayo 03, 2010, 20:21:48 pm »
yo que se, a mi el gran ternico gran antipro (bolchefan) me enseno a MI (Lord Peterson della Informatique') a instalar windows 7 desde un usb y hacerle una particion al disco en el proceso.

saquenla.
"What is this sudden concern of yours for people without money? I need to know."

"You need to look at the big picture Denny, if people don't have it, they might want to steal ours"

Offline dude

• Administrator
    • Antiprooooo
  • Clan: [C4]
« Reply #4 on: Mayo 03, 2010, 21:38:27 pm »
ma facil meterle un ghost pa tras

Offline casta

« Reply #5 on: Mayo 04, 2010, 01:18:37 am »
solo por leer el chorizo ese 500p dps si sale bien 1500 mas menos de eso naaa

Offline Dr. KBZUTI

• LES KB TODITA! ;)
« Reply #6 on: Mayo 04, 2010, 03:55:36 am »
yo que se, a mi el gran ternico gran antipro (bolchefan) me enseno a MI (Lord Peterson della Informatique') a instalar windows 7 desde un usb y hacerle una particion al disco en el proceso.

saquenla.

cuando quieras cariño

Offline Mork

• Global Moderator
  • Donde ta el cuchiii??!
    • Repositorio de lo Bizarro
  • Clan: C4
« Reply #7 on: Mayo 04, 2010, 09:07:49 am »
Bien bola!
También se puede instalar windows xp por red

http://www.scribd.com/full/3163764?access_key=key-1p774n0n3qt9vov2vq49